Tax PlanningHome PageAMTRes. Energy CreditQualifying ChildRecords RetentionIncome Tax HintsManufacturing Deduct179 DeductionIncrease DepreciatioLast Min. Tax Plan

Are you subject to the "Nanny" Tax?



 Are You 
 to Comply?

When you hire a nanny, housekeeper or other domestic worker, pay close attention to the tax rules even if you don't expect to land a big-shot job in Washington, D.C.

Over the years, there are been news stories about political appointees who lost their jobs and got into trouble because they didn't pay nanny taxes. The same could happen to you.

You must generally pay Social Security, Medicare and federal unemployment taxes on wages paid to domestic workers who are considered "employees" under federal law.

However, you don't have to bother with this if:

   You pay someone less than $1,500 in 2006 (up from $1,400 in 2005).
   You hire students age 18 or younger.
   You hire occasional workers like painters or house-cleaning services.

The laws related to domestic workers are confusing and poorly understood, but ignoring them can land you in hot water even decades from now.

Beyond that, you have to determine if domestic helpers are employees under your control or independent contractors in business for themselves.

It's not a simple question, but if the workers come part-time and advertise or hand out business cards, they're probably self-employed and responsible for their own taxes. On the other hand, a live-in housekeeper or full-time nanny who works in your home is an employee.

If you believe a worker is an independent contractor: Put the arrangement in writing and keep a copy of the person's business card, brochure or advertisement. Why do you need this protection? Sometimes, domestic helpers reveal the names of people they worked for when they apply for Social Security. The IRS then sends out assessments for back taxes, penalties and interest even many years later.

Because this is a confusing issue, call Ronald J. Cappuccio, J.D., LL.M.(Tax) at (856) 665-2121 to ensure you're on the right track. Ronald J. Cappuccio, J.D., LL.M.(Tax) 1800 Chapel Avenue West Suite 128 Cherry Hill, NJ 08002 Phone:(856) 665-2121      Fax: (856) 665-9005 Email:

Tax Planning | Home Page | AMT | Residential Energy Credit | Qualifying Child Credit | Records Retention | Income Tax Hints | Manufacturing Deduction | 179 Deduction | Increase Depreciation | Last Minute Tax Planning